You could drive your car forever without changing the oil—and it might be okay. Similarly, you could let your website go forever without updates—and it might be okay. But banking on might is never a good idea. Especially now that WordPress is powering 25% of the web. And because hackers like to target things that are popular.
And even though my clients’ intentions are good when their sites launch, too many sites go without updates—and ultimately, are floating in cyber-land with vulnerabilities. It might be okay, but it might not.
That’s why I created a Get Updated Package. It’s for clients who want to keep their website secure and up-to-date without having to worry about it themselves. Here’s what’s included:
- Update WordPress, plugins, and themes to the latest versions. These are basically all the files that control the specific functionality of a website. Updates address security concerns or add new functionality—they’re important! If it affects your site, I’ll keep it current.
- Scan site for malware and other security breaches. Have there been any attempts at hacking your site? Have any files been injected with code that isn’t supposed to be there? I’ll safeguard your site and make sure nothing’s going amiss.
- Confirm automatic backups are running correctly. I usually insist that clients have automatic backups. Sometimes, they’ll rely on a webhost for backups—and 9 out of 10 times—it’s fine. But I’ve seen crazy things happen: accounts get suspended leaving no access, or hosts change settings that mess things up. It’s a better practice to backup your site to a third-party service like Amazon S3 or Google Drive. I confirm backups are working properly.
- Basic updates of content, design or functionality. Maybe you want to add a Twitter icon, a new bio, or even a new page—and you don’t want to do it yourself. Every quarter, I’ll take an update off your plate.
- Simple troubleshooting & priority support. If something technical goes awry with your site, I will fix it ASAP. If there’s a security problem with your site, I’ll be on it right away.
Your website probably won’t get hacked without updates, but it might. So please make sure to update your site and protect your investment! Don’t want to worry about doing the updates yourself? Check out my Get Updated Package and I’ll handle everything for you.