The next step in getting your website done (as defined in my free report, Get Your Website Done: 12 Actionable Steps for Designers) is to get photos taken. By photos I mean a good photograph of your face and other images that are unique and personal to your business and how you work.
Your photo should look like you, so if someone sees your photo on your website then meets you in person, they’ll recognize you. I’ve talked about the downside of using an old headshot on your website. For my new website design, I’m going to use the photos on my current site because they still look like me. Here’s what I recommend if you need new photography for your website:
- Photograph your office. If you don’t like your office, maybe you like part of your office. A corner, a bookshelf, a chair in the sun? Or perhaps you work at a coffee shop. Take a picture there. The whole point is to be authentic and show what your work-life looks like. Get creative. I know you have some fun in your space—show it!
- Get over yourself. Resisting having your picture taken? Everybody’s just a human being. We’re all such harsh judges of ourselves. Believe me … I never want to get my photo taken. There will always be 10 pounds to lose, etc. Take a deep breath, let it out and repeat after me, “I am beautiful just the way that I am.”
- Don’t use stock photos! Stock photos can’t be authentic because they aren’t coming from you. You can’t eat fake fruit and you can’t create an authentic representation of your space with a stock photo. Yes, we use stock photos for our clients, but that doesn’t mean we need to do this for ourselves. To reinforce this fact, check out the awesome, custom photos on these sites I’ve designed:
- Pay attention to quality. If you’re a designer I don’t have to tell you that the quality of the visuals reflect the quality of your business.
- Hire a photographer. Thinking you’ll just take the photos yourself? If you must. But unless you’re a photographer, you might not be able to see the bigger picture. Why not let a pro bring their outside perspective to show you and your space in the best light possible?
Now schedule your photo shoot!