Think you don’t need TikTok for your business? Maybe it’s time to reconsider. I did.
Here’s the deal: I’m not active on my personal Facebook. I never got into Instagram.
BUT, I’m all about a viable marketing avenue. And I think TikTok is one of them.
Apparently TikTok isn’t just for my 13-year-old son! (More than 50% of users are over the age of 30.)
With over 1.5 Billion users, TikTok is growing fast. Here are some stats:
- Marketers say that TikTok and Instagram have the biggest potential to grow in 2023, and 53% of marketers will increase their investments in the app. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- The average user spends 89 minutes per day on the app, according to a leaked deck from TikTok. (Music Business Worldwide)
- 36% of Gen Z and 22% of Millennials consumers want to learn about products through short-form videos like TikToks. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- 46% of TikTok users engage with content on TikTok without distractions or using multiple screens at once. (TikTok)
- Brands are remembered 40% more on TikTok than on other platforms.
- 2 out of 3 users are likely to buy something while on the platform. (TikTok)
- 50% of TikTok users have bought something after watching a TikTok LIVE. (TikTok)
- TikTok users are twice as likely as users of other channels to recommend something they found on the platform. (TikTok)
These are some of the reasons why I decided to use it.
With my Client Onboarding Toolkit, I exhausted my marketing avenues. I promoted it on apps, blogs, and through partners—and I’ve been wondering: What is the next thing I do to promote it?
Since my target audience, newer designers, is definitely on TikTok, it seemed like a viable option. So I’m doing a bit of an experiment to see if TikTok is worth my time and energy. And I have to tell you, I’m having a lot of fun! Also, one of my life goals is to be a little more social. I mean, I don’t want to be super social—I’m still a cave dweller—but I like the idea of being able to be social-ish, from the safety of my office.
My TikToks so far:
- Don’t do this on consultation calls
- Would you refund the deposit if the client wasn’t happy?
- My favorite graphic and web design shirts
- How to push back with a client
@jilllynndesign Would you refund the deposit if the #client wasn’t happy? #smallbusiness #graphicdesigner #freelancer #businessadvice ♬ Song Oh no oh no oh no no no – Hip Hop
Where am I finding content?
I’m taking the content from my most popular blog posts! And the t-shirt one is just an idea I’ve had for a long time.
- Not trying to be perfect. Not recording the video a bunch of times. Being okay with good enough. I have to remind myself—this is supposed to be quick and casual!
- Putting myself out there. Looking at myself on video. Ultimately people are just being people on TikTok. I’m a person, so I qualify. I’m trying not to get hung up on appearances.
- Time. I’m still on a learning curve, so each video has been taking me about 40 minutes. I’m confident I can get the creation of each video down to 20 minutes or less.
Things I’m really enjoying:
- Making the videos
- Picking the music
- Sharing my ideas
- Seeing how many people view it
Right now I have a handful of followers, and I appreciate every one of you. Want to make my day? Please follow me on TikTok 🙂